If you’re new around here, welcome! I’m Kylee and I am an interior designer and property manager specializing in vacation rental properties. I’m putting a bit of a spin on the One Room Challenge this fall by making over not just one room, but my entire house as we convert it from our full-time home into a vacation rental property. Follow along here and on Instagram as we transform one room each week from October 8th through November 12th!
Catch up on past weeks here:
The Living Room – Before
I’m starting to realize a pattern with the ORC – you think you have soooo much time (a whole week!) to knock things off your to-do list and then, before you know it, it’s Wednesday and you haven’t done anything but admire the pillow covers that came in the mail the day before. Somehow it all gets finished, though. It’s ORC magic, I tell ya.
This week we tackled the living room at Rockaway. So, just like last week, I’m going to take you way back to before our first round of renovations last year. Here are some of the listing photos from when we purchased the house:
We tackled all of the major renovations in 2019. In the living room the big changes were:
- Moving the location of the front door (so that we could lower and expand the patio) and installing a Dutch door
- Insulating the ceiling
- Replacing the floors
- Adding recessed lighting
Just as with the kitchen last week, our biggest project in this room was getting all of our personal belongings out. Most everything in this room went with us to our new house. Our purchase list included:
- Sectional Sofa – I had a very specific list of criteria for this sofa. It needed to be curl-up-in deep, comfortable, seat at least 4, not so big that it overpowers the space, light enough in color to keep the airy feel of the room but dark enough to hide potential stains. Easy right? 😉 We ended up with this sectional from Living Spaces and it looks great.
- Side Table – we picked up this small side table from Target
- TV + Console Table – I am super proud of this console table that I found in the clearance section at Jerome’s Furniture here in San Diego. We added a few woven baskets below the table to house throw blankets, magazines, local guidebooks and family games.
- DIY Surfboard Art – We purchased an unfinished wood “surf board” from Etsy, stained it, and cut out the design on adhesive vinyl using my Cricut machine. I’ll do a full post on this later!
- Decor – to finish up the room, we added:
Coming Up Next Week
Next week we’ll be setting up the first of the two bedrooms! I’ll also be using the pampas grass that I picked from Adamo Ranch to create a wall art piece for above the bed.
Don’t forget to check out the other One Room Challenge participants!